Matcha Benefits, the perfect alternative to Coffee
There are many reasons to drink Matcha instead of Coffee, in this blog post we bring you everything you need to know about Matcha, and all the drinks and foods that you can make with it;
What is matcha?
It’s a super-fine powder made from green tea leaves, originally from China and Japan. Thanks to its unique production process, it is meant to be stronger, sweeter, and creamier than regular tea.
The GiveMeCocos Team is currently obsessed with this superfood, in a Vegan Matcha Latte. Anyone else? Find the recipe in here;
How is matcha made?
The 2 weeks prior to being harvested, farmers place a shade over the tea leaves making them sweeter, brighter, and softer. Afterward, leaves are harvested and steamed for 20 min, then powdered.
What are the benefits of matcha?
Matcha contains antioxidants that protect you from cell damage. It helps to lower blood pressure thanks to catechins (antioxidants) and prevents heart diseases. This same antioxidant also helps to maintain lower cholesterol. It also helps with inflammation and conditions like arthritis.
Matcha helps clear up acne, and has been used for centuries by Japanese women as a facial mask. Matcha’s antibacterial properties help to give skin a natural glow.
Should I be careful with matcha?
One of the main components of matcha is CAFFEINE, therefore, as with any caffeine product, you should measure your intake.
Matcha and Caffeine
Matcha contains less caffeine than coffee, but provides you longer lasting energy. Caffeine in Matcha Green Tea is called Theophylline, and gets into the bloodstream of the body in little quantities. Providing energy from 4 to 5 hours, with Matcha you are therefore assured that energy level is at its peak for many hours.
How To Prepare Vegan Matcha Latte?
- Spoon the matcha green tea powder and natural sweetener (like maple syrup or coconut syrup) into a cup.
- Add a bit of warm water and mix with a spoon or with a whisk until it is a smooth dark green paste to ensure no lumps form.
- Warm one cup of plant based milk in a small saucepan and pour into the mug until nearly full. Use cold milk for an iced latte.
- Use a whisk to mix the paste and milk together until smooth and light green in colour.
- If you so wish, you can add a few sprinkles of matcha green tea powder or cinnamon on the top for decoration. Or add ice for an extra cold iced latte.
Drinks / food you can have matcha in:
- Smoothie: add 1 or 2 tablespoons to your favourite smoothie to make it more energising.
- Oatmeal: sprinkle it in your oatmeal every morning
- Coconut yogurt: 2 tablespoons in your morning yogurt bowl with fruit